The firm’s project finance and infrastructure practice covers an extensive range of domestic and international transactions, with emphasis on projects in emerging markets. Our industry expertise involves energy (oil, gas and electric), housing/ estate development projects, transportation, mining and telecommunications.
Banwo & Ighodalo regularly provides advice on project finance transactions. We have provided comprehensive legal advice on all aspects of significant capital projects, including project structure, financial arrangements and negotiation, preparation and or review of all project documentation (legal or otherwise). The firm's involvement usually traverses all levels of a project from conception, structure development and implementation to post completion formalities.
We provide expert advice on greenfield projects and existing facilities in privatizations, concessions, operations and maintenance contracts and outsourcing transactions. When projects experience difficulties due to macro-economic factors, changing industry conditions or other causes, we are able to step in and help resuscitate such troubled projects.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW SOME TRANSACTIONS
- We have, for more than five years, advised the Tinapa Business Resort Limited (“TBRL”), the Project Company set up by the Cross River State Government in relation to a US$300 million Greenfield project for the development of the Tinapa Free Trade Zone in Calabar (Nigeria’s own mini-Dubai). In particular, we successfully led TBRL’s effort to obtain designation of Tinapa as a free trade zone on the recommendation of the Nigerian Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA). We have subsequently assisted numerous entities operating and or intending to operate in the Tinapa Resort to obtain registration with NEPZA. As TBRL’s retained Solicitors, we provide extensive legal and regulatory advice on the project structure, negotiations and agreements with over thirty (30) service providers and Joint Venture partners, specialized tenancy documentation and financing negotiation and documentation for the project
- We are presently engaged as project solicitors to Brass LNG Limited, the project vehicle sponsored by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and three international oil companies for the implementation of a Greenfield LNG project. Besides other aspects of the project, we are involved in the project financing, acting in conjunction with international counsel and other appointed advisers
- We represented Notore Chemical Industries Limited in its acquisition of the assets of National Fertilizer Company of Nigeria (NAFCON) in Liquidation. We actively participated in the restructuring of the Company, preparation and negotiation of a 20 year Gas Sale and Purchase Agreement involving Nigerian Gas Company for the supply of Natural Gas to be used as feedstock for the production of urea, and fuel for utilities. We also prepared and reviewed Shareholder’s Agreements and Equity Purchase Agreements, and other definitive agreements between the Company’s Nigerian investors, financiers and identified foreign investors. We were also involved in the negotiation and preparation of the documents for the syndicated medium term note issuance facility in the sum of US$170,000,000 to part finance the transaction
- We advised Persianas Properties Limited in its multimillion dollar shopping mall project. The mall, known as The Palms, is the largest shopping mall in west Africa. The project is structured as a joint venture with Actis (a UK-based private equity firm) formerly known as Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC). We were also involved in the structuring of the equity/debt financing for the project
- We are presently advising Lionstone Capital Partners Limited (a Nigerian venture capital entity) in connection with the structuring of a multi-million Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge project in Lagos, and a linked real estate development project along the coastal shore